Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Israel Houghton - Love God. Love People The London Sessions "Review"

First of all when I the names Israel Houghton, Aaron Linsey and Tommy Sims by themselves I'm already excited to hear what they have produced or written. When you put those three together I bubbling over with excitement. Basically if these guys names are on anybody's CD it becomes an automatic buy for me.

With that said I'm going to cut to the chase I did not know what to expect because when you have a collaboration like this anything can happen. As I exited Best Buy after my purchase my face was beaming. I took a couple of passes listening including to having it on repeat while sleeping.

First of all the album begins with a welcome to Abbey Road and then the title track just comes at you "Love God Love People". By the second verse I'm caught up and digging the lyrics already (this is during my first listen).

Track two "Yahweh (The Lifter)" meets you with a sound you are familiar with from Israel but that's definitely not a bad thing. Every worship leader is looking up the CCLI number of this song by now. Mid track you are greeted with a sweet funky breakdown that has you nodding and if you're like me twisting your face like oh man this is bad. The track is sweet.

"Love Rev" (Revolution) is next. This is one of the tracks I gravitate to instantly because of the funky vibe.

"That's Why I Love You" was the first track that tempted me to stay on repeat and just camp, build a house, settle and drink this in. Smooth with what I call a 70s feel and sweet vocals. But even with all that the lyrics still shine the most. Beautiful song.

"Others" This track for me touches my heart strings. The lyrics are amazing. The string arrangement is a beautiful touch to the acoustic guitar and piano.

"You Hold My World" just takes you into worship. It was hard not to repeat this track.

"You Won't Let Go" was one of those surprises on the album I didn't expect but was pleasantly surprised. A very solid track. I thought of my youth group loving this one.

"Our God" a beautiful worship song with a modern musical twist. What was that CCLI number again?

"Mercies" features Kirk Franklin and this track is off the hook.
"Surprises" features Fred Hammond which I will say I didn't like the sound of his voice on this track but it won't keep me from liking the song it's a personal preference. (I listen to Fred Hammond a lot it just sounded a bit strange. Like John P. Kee on Love Unstoppable but it's such a beautiful song I'll get used to it like I did with John P. Kee). So smooth and nice.

"Name of Love" to me is a take it or leave song. If you like the modern sound you'll love this track. I personally would skip this if I was not listening to the whole album. The lyrics are great though. (And you though I was a fan boy. [Video gamer terminology]) Confession: I find this one slowly growing on me.

"Hosanna (Be Lifted Higher)" is my favorite track. It is pure worship. The presence of God entered the room when this track played. It is so beautiful.

Overall the flow of the album is great and it flows track to track with no breaks. I enjoyed it and will be listening to this one for years to come.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment